Monday, August 16, 2010

I Think I Can!!!

I did something really kinda crazy the other day...and honestly, I'd do it again.  Saturday I participated in the Marine Corps Run Amuck-3.5 mile race.  Now, this is not just a run, it's a run with mud, obstacles and some Marine motivation to keep you going.  Now, I was somewhat prepared for the mud and I knew what obstacles would be included, but NOTHING could prepare me for Devil Dog Run.  The sign for Devil Dog Run greeted me as I entered the off road terrain, after I did about 1 mile.  The first mile included a few hills (oh my) on paved road, 10 jumping jacks, a run/jump/high knees thru tires, a run thru the 1st mud pit (wow my shoes are heavy now!) and a jump/climb/crawl over hay bails.  By the time I got to Devil Dog Run, I was thinking, I don't like the Devil, I don't like Dogs...and I'm really not liking this Run right about now!!!!  The off road terrain was comprised of more obstacles, sit ups, flutter kicks, pipes to crawl thru and hills, which really seemed like mountains.  And don't forget MORE MUD at least they said it was mud.  When I had to crawl under the barbed-wire portion--the mud had an odor that reminded me of well, let's just say, NOT mud.  I started thinking wow, people actually sign up for the Marines to do this stuff ALL THE TIME? oh, and it didn't help that they had Marines stationed at each obstacle and throughout the course to "motivate" us.  Ha, Motivate? well, let's just say, something about being yelled at thorough a mega-fone--is really motivating or really aggrevating--you decide!!!  I will say, as with everything, I thought long and hard and got a little philosophical... The sacrafices the Marines and other armed forces make for our freedom, is noteworthy, so while I was "running amuck" I did think about that and thought in amazment and gratitude.  I even tried to imagine how they run that trail in the dark...(no, I didn't start running with my eyes closed!)  All in all, it was a life changing experience and it not only really challenged my body, but it challenged my mind because at one point I had to revert back to the famous saying by the Little Engine that Could....I think I can, I think I can!!!   I pushed myself to step outside the box and into the mud--literally--and I can say, I have a really clear picture of how to overcome obstacles (no pun intended).  I encourage everyone to find something that will cause you step outside your box and overcome the obstacles!  Just remember, me, the mud and the Little Engine that Could!  You can do it!!!

3 comments:

  1. Now tell me why is it that I am supposed to ha e read your story and got all motivated to step outside the box but instead as I am reading all I can think is......"huh I wonder if Marcia noticed if any of those marines had empty ring fingers. Now my sis knows I love a man in uniform".....lol. maybe its the painkillers the doc has me on. I will read it and get motivated later! Lol. Actually that sounds like it may have been kinda fun! What's next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keisha-I'm sorry, when I went to slow down to check their ring fingers---they YELLED at me to "KEEP IT MOVING"!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I must say WOW!!! If you wanted mud, you should've called me for a spa day ;) Even though our goals are very different, they are still tall goals. So it is nice to have a sister in the effort. I guess everyone has to try their "mud run" at least once - did that years ago, and I didn't like it either. I didn't realize that the "run" you talked about was going to be this... surprise! This is an extreme way to get into a bikini (smile), but go for it!

    ReplyDelete